This is a simple pizza sauce from Smitten Kitchen that I use on my pizzas. It’s simple and tastes great.
- 1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea or kosher salt
- Red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- Small amount of sugar or agave nectar, if desired, to balance the acidity
- Place tomatoes in a colander set over a bowl and give the tomatoes a little squeeze so they release any trapped juices. Let them drain for 30 minutes, if you can spare it.
- Put the tomatoes into a blender jar or bowl (if using an immersion blender).
- Add salt, garlic, red pepper flakes and sugar or agave (if the tomatoes taste overly acidic to you), to the tomatoes
- Blend in a blender or with an immersion blender until they reach your desired sauce texture. I blend it until it’s really smooth.
- A double recipe makes sauce for about four 10-inch pizzas. If you have extra you can save the remainder in the fridge for up to a week, or in the freezer for longer.